Sunday, October 16, 2005

Its one long Hairy Story.

I've been blessed from birth with a wierd crown of hair on my head!! Its actually an extension of my charactor, wild,crazy and fiercely independant!! But even though I may extoll its virtuous properties, I have to admit that its a bitch to make it look nice.The main characteristic of the hair is that it stands straight up-whatever be its length or position on my scalp.The hair in front falls down straight onto my face and the hair in the center insists on standing straight up.It maybe because I have two hair circles(The concept is similar to crop circles-with hair in swirls instead of plants) on my head.
Having said this much about my hair, I guess u must now have got an idea of how my hair is.
Right from my school days, its been the center of attention in any gathering and all my nicknames have been based on it.Right from 'Mulli' during my school days to 'Mottai' during my college days.

In my school days, I've tried all sorts of remedies-right from the most mundane to the most outlandish!I have paid 250/- bucks for a haircut (this was back in the early 1990's....when 250 represented a hell of a lot of spinning tops and sticky notebook labels).I've also cut my hair for Rs:5/- at the local saloon in my grandparents village.Al the barbers always complained but couldn't offer any gyan on how my hair could be set right!I read somewhere that if u apply grease on ur hair, it will soften and wouldn't stand straight up due to the weight.And believe it or not.I did it! I bought a packet of industrial grease and applied it on my hair for some days.But absence of any permanent results along with the panic stricken requests of my mom made me stop that treatment.
Then, in my 12th standard i had my revelation, I went to a saloon for hair cutting.The barber complained that he couldn't cut my hair because the cut hair kept entering his eyes all the time.So, I loaned him my cooling glasses and he cut my hair with them on.It was then that i decided enough was enough.I wasn't going to bear anymore of this.I asked the barber to 'machine' my head!! He plowed the hair cutting machine over my head like a lawnmower and pretty soon, i looked like a guy who's had his head shaven just a week back.I sorta liked the look and the freedom that came along with it.
Freedom from thinking a lot before washing my hair.Freedom from towelling my hair.Freedom from worrying about my hairstyle all the time.Freedom from combs....also freedom from comments about my hair.Now, I was completely free.
Thats when when i decided to keep that look.And I did that-for the next 5 years.All through my college, I'ld 'machine' my head every 2-3 months or so, which resulted in my nickname of 'Mottai' which means shaven head in Tamil.This has been the history of my hair till arnd 4 months back.
Around 4 months back, i became tired of the same old short haired look and decided to grow my hair long.Really long.My room mate Naseem Bhai was also a big inspiration.He has his hair very very long.It looks soo cool.
Of course, there were a lot of hair growing pangs.When the hair was short, it wouldn't seem weird even if it stood straight up.But once it started growing, it became very hard to manage it.Imagine hair 2-3 inches long standing straight up on the center of ur head! It sorta looked like palm trees near an oasis in a black desert of coarse hair.I managed that by the simplest way possible.I bought a nice round cap and started wearing it ALL the time, I'ld put it on as soon as i took my bath and it would be on my head all the time, while working,while walking, even while eating.I'ld take it off only at night.
Pretty soon, my consistent efforts bore fruit and my hair raising days were over.The hair was long enough to be unable to stand up straight up and fell down to my scalp in dejected defeat!!
I thought I had won.But how mistaken i was.I had won the battle, but the war was just beginning.
It just gets tougher when ur hair is long.
Now, I have to think twice before i take a bath.(which in itself is a rare phenomenon-so, this is not too much of an irritation).
I now have to brush/comb my hair daily.My hair tends to fall down the front of my face and cover my eyes.Though this is nice during the headbanging sessions, it gets a little irritating and i have to keep on tossing my mane of hair out of my eyes.
I'ld like to narrate a nice incident whioch happened a coupla days back.I was playing pool and everytime, i bent down to make a shot, my hair would fall over my eyes ,blocking my vision and I would have to flick it off with my hand.I saw a guy watching this and smiling at me.I at first didn't understand why he was smiling at me as I didn't know him.Then, i saw that he also had very long hair.Then, i understood the meaning behind that smile.
'I can also understand ur pain' it said.
Nice, huh??
I plan to grow my hair long enough to put it in a ponytail.
Lets see where his leads to.I'll keep u dudes posted.
Bye,
-Cne

6 comments:

Hari said...

I have an Idea.
Braid your hair in all parts(Of your head(Y can't I stop making sick jokes when it comes to hair('nyways!))) . This should not be a problem once its long. Suspend lead pellets as bobs from the ends of the plaits.
Now tell me u can't think of a better thing to do with your hair!

Hari said...

...& what abt your nite in de pub! We're still waiting for saturday night reloaded!

Anonymous said...

Hey mottai,
Whatever u r , u r better. I don't think any other hair style for you would be most suited rather than the 'palm trees of the desert' look. U have 1 more advantage, u won't be suffering from hairfall days as we hairy ones do.

Anonymous said...

U better let it grow... coz of that some barbers ll save their scissors for more months...

Anonymous said...

hey that was cool :-)))

esp the
>>> industrial grease

man, you are really crazy

wishes for your roomie and you for Hairy Days to come ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Ganchu....
The Hairy Story has got competition from my side...U know i've been growing it for 6 months....and the day i write my CAT exam i'm gonna revert back to my 'porcupine' days...nostalgia awaits!!

----------Praveen R V (Chennai)